Communities & Municipalities
Albany, Town of
Municipal office: 29816 S. Montpelier; P.O. Box 1000, Albany, LA 70711;
225-567-1101 or 225-567-1102.
Mayor "Gene" Glascock and Councilmen Jerry Glasscock, Edmond Harris, Murphy Martin, Jr., S. Gerald Stilley and Bee Martin.
The rural community of Albany near the eastern border of Livingston Parish was originally developed as a railroad stop, and, later became a business district at the crossroads of U. S. Hwy. 190 and LA Hwy. 43. Settlers of Hungarian heritage moved into this area that became and remains the largest Hungarian community in the United States.
Albany hosts one of the largest Christmas Parades in the state. Hungarian roots make this a great location for their annual event honoring their background. Albany's population allowed the village to grow to town status in 2012.
Denham Springs, City of
Municipal office: 941 Government Street, P.O. Box 1629, Denham Springs, LA 70726;
Mayor H. Gerard Landry and City Council Members Chris Davis, Lori Lamm-Williams, Rene Delahoussaye,Robert Poole and Jeff Wesley.
Original land claims indicate Denham Springs was established in the early 1800s. Natural groundwater springs have figured in the city's name since the 1850s. Situated on the most western side of Livingston Parish along the Amite River, Denham Springs is the parish’s largest municipality. With large areas of vigorous commercial and residential development, the city has a growing population of approximately 10,500 residents. The historic district has more than 20 antiques and other unique shops and is the site of annual spring and fall festivals that feature artisans, crafters, musicians, food and more. The Chamber of Commerce and Arts Council offices are also in this area, and the municipal complex is only blocks away. The city has 10 hotels, and a large shopping mall is under construction on Juban Road at I-12.
French Settlement, Village of
Municipal office: 16015 Hwy. 16/P.O. Box 3, French Settlement, LA 70733;
Mayor Toni Guitrau and Aldermen Danette Aydell, Teresa Miller and Glen Newell.
The village limits of French Settlement follow a line 1,000 feet either side of Hwy. 16 from Colyell Bay to the Amite River. The population is about 1,000, although their weekend population swells with people drawn to the river for recreational boating and fishing. The town’s Creole House Museum is behind the Village Hall and houses historical information and artifacts. The building itself was built in 1898 by settlers, and it is the site of the annual Creole Festival, held the third Sunday in October, that features live music, food, craft demonstrations and other activities.
Killian, Town of
Municipal office: 28284 Hwy. 22, Springfield, LA 70462;
Mayor Craig McGehee and Aldermen Jerry "J.J." Barnum Jr., Vince Deliberto, J. Paul Canik, Gillis Windham and Roy Winston, Jr.
The small town of Killian lies south of Springfield, alongside LA 22 and the Tickfaw River. Many people choose to make their homes or camps here because of the river and Lake Maurepas and the many water sport activities that are available. The town is a popular weekend destination for people who come to get away from it all and enjoy the natural beauty of the area. There is residential growth being seen, with subdivisions, condos and commercial development along LA Hwy. 22.
Livingston, Town of
Municipal office: 20550 Circle Drive, P.O. Box 430, Livingston, LA 70754;
Mayor Derral Jones and Alderman Randy Morgan, James Nesom, Joey Sibley, David McCreary and Wade Wilson.
The town of Livingston is situated on U.S. 190 near the center of the parish, about 25 miles east of Baton Rouge. The parish fairgrounds located on the west side of town is the site of the annual parish fair, parade and rodeo each October. The parish courthouse and all parish governmental offices, the Parish Health Unit and the state Motor Vehicle Bureau, are all located in Livingston. The Laser Interferometer Gravitational Wave Observatory (LIGO), sponsored by the National Science Foundation with the mission of detecting gravitational waves, is located just north of Livingston and is open to visitors.
Port Vincent, Village of
Municipal office: 18235 Hwy. 16, Port Vincent, LA 70726;
Mayor David Carter and Aldermen Milton "Gary" Brady, J.J. Page and Scotty Martone.
The small community of Port Vincent is quiet and peaceful during the week, but on weekends, many boaters and fisherman take to the popular Amite River.
Springfield, Town of
Municipal office: 27378 LA Hwy. 22, P.O. Box 352, Springfield, LA 70462;
Mayor Tommy Abels and Aldermen L. D. Barringer, Mildred Cowsar, Marsha Sherburne and Johnny Vicknair.
The colorful town of Springfield has the distinction of being the oldest municipality in Livingston Parish and the third oldest in the state. Springfield hosts an annual Civil War Battle Re-enactment during the month of September that draws visitors from dozens of states. It is also home to a world class golf resort, and is the site of the annual Tickfaw 200 Poker Run that attracts “cigarette”-style racing boats from across the country. Tickfaw State Park is nearby and offers camping, cabins, canoeing, hiking and other outdoor activities. The abundance of recreation opportunities on the Tickfaw River and other nearby bodies of water draws new residents and visitors to the area.
Walker, City of
Municipal office: 10136 Florida Blvd., P.O. Box 217, Walker, LA 70785;
225- 665-4356; www.walker.la.us.
Mayor Rick Ramsey and Alderman Scarlett Major, Jonathan Davis, Tracy Girlinghouse, Gary Griffin, Paul Roberts, Jr. and Jim Goins.
Walker celebrated its elevation to city status with a grand celebration over the 2011 Independence Day weekend. Walker is one of the fastest growing cities in the state. The city has initiated periodic business-to-business networking events to encourage cooperation and forge strong relationships among local businesses. The Livingston Parish Industrial Park area and Co-Mar Commercial Park, both east of Walker on U.S. Hwy. 190, have attracted many industrial businesses to the area. A large medical clinic is under construction south of the Walker I-12 exit. The city’s rich history is preserved at the Walker Museum which also serves as a cultural center for the town. The community stages large annual celebrations for Independence Day, Christmas events, and the Pine Tree Festival– all of which are an opportunity for old-fashioned family fun. Some of the best musicians in the South perform at the rustic Old South Jamboree and Country & Gospel Jubilee.
Unincorporated Areas of the Parish
Holden is an unincorporated community located between Livingston and Albany at the intersection of U.S. Hwy. 190 and LA Hwy. 441. The small rural community has several small businesses and a few large ones. The area was largely settled after the east-west railroad line came through in 1907. One of the property owners who sold land to the railroad was James Mahlon Holden, for whom the community was later named.
The community of Maurepas is on Maurepas Island which is surrounded by Lake Maurepas, the Amite River, Bayou Pierre, Petite Amite and Blind River. Originally part of Ascension Parish, the island was transferred to Livingston Parish in 1850. Other nearby unincorporated communities include Whitehall, Bear Island and Head of Island. The only post office in the area, established in 1875, is in Maurepas.
Head of Island/Diversion Canal Area
The unincorporated community in the Head of Island area includes many recent retail and restaurant developments along LA 22 south of its intersection with LA 16 and leading to Diversion Canal. An abundance of upscale homes along the Diversion Canal waterway have attracted local residents as well as people from Baton Rouge, New Orleans and points between looking for luxury waterfront living in the country. The 33-acre Pointe of Isle mixed-use development is under construction.
Satsuma is an unincorporated community between Walker and Livingston. The development of Suma Crossing at the I-12 Satsuma interchange spans 1,037 acres on both sides of the Interstate and includes a medical complex, a conference center, retail and office space, condominiums, restaurants and residential areas north of the Interstate. The conference center features a large stage and is the site of music concerts and plays. A large baseball complex is adjacent to the development.
Watson, an unincorporated community about five miles north of Denham Springs, is also often referred to as Live Oak. That name originated with the Live Oak Store and post office that was established in 1869. The area schools all take the Live Oak name. The Amite River just to the west has served as a source of transportation and recreation over the years, and it currently supports a large gravel industry. A sports complex is the center of many community events and is currently undergoing a major expansion.